An ancient estate, a millennium-old castle, a forward-thinking family – and the singular aim of protecting and restoring an extraordinary corner of unspoilt Umbria. This is Reschio
What these hills have seen over the years goodness only knows, but we’re sure of our roots, thanks to an ancient figurine found on Reschio’s upper slopes which suggests this area was once under Etruscan rule. The name Reschio itself is thought to derive from Resculum, a Latin name for fortification, and construction on the present castle began around the year 900.
The first deeds were granted to the family of the Marchesi del Monte Santa Maria by Charlemagne, and in 1355 Reschio came under the direct influence of the Holy Roman Empire, creating an independent fiefdom, an island surrounded by the warring factions of Umbria and Tuscany.
Much drama and intrigue followed as the estate moved between different families over the centuries, from the murderous cousin intent on wrestling control of the castle for himself, to a 16th century telling-off by the Pope for the placement of the Cesi coat of arms over the entrance of the castle.
Cardinal Lorenzo Corsini was elected to became Pope Clemente XII by the College of Cardinals in 1730. His niece, who was a Corsini had married a member of the Bichi Ruspoli family and the Pope bestowed the title of Conte di Reschio on their son. When Nencia Corsini married Benedikt Bolza in 2000, unbeknownst to them at the time a Corsini had returned to Reschio.
The 17th to the early 20th century was a time of community development, under the noble family Bichi Ruspoli of Siena, who built the area’s elementary school.
Over the years, the farmhouses fell into disrepair and the estate became overgrown and rewilded – and then, finally, in 1984 the Bolzas arrived, an aristocratic Austro-Hungarian family of Italian origin, whose energetic drive and endless passion is to protect and revitalise this extraordinary estate